Mike[_10_] Mike[_10_] is offline

Default Computer sleep mode

C'mon... it's typical of harry when he's backed into a corner. Ignore the
question, and try to insult/incite... He's certainly predictable, that's fer
sure.

--Mike

"D.Duck" wrote in message

"hk" wrote in message
. ..
D.Duck wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
D.Duck wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
Eisboch wrote:
"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
Thought I might offer this, even though I don't understand it, in
case anyone else has a similar issue.

If you use hibernate mode the machine completely powers itself time
after a user selected period of time. This minimizes dust
ingestion. The recovery time on our laptop is less than 15 seconds
after touching the power button.

HTH.

I experimented with both "sleep" and "hibernate" modes. Frankly,
as far as power usage is concerned, I don't see any difference.
In both, the display, hard drive and cooling fans stop operating.

The reason I started doing this is, as you pointed out, over time
you build up dust and the cooling becomes less effective.
This laptop is over 6 years old and I used to just leave it on 24/7.
I started shutting it down because I was concerned the cooling
probably wasn't as efficient as when it was new. But, so far, no
problems.

Eisboch
How much dust ingestion are you going to get on a decently built
laptop?

Now, a desktop, especially a homebrew desktop, is different. I just
open up the panels on mine and use canned air to blow the dust out
every couple of months.
Every laptop I've looked at have a grill over the area where the fan
in sucking in fresh air. What is decently built that is different
from that design?
I didn't say "no" dust would get in, I implied it would be minimal. I
was at the Apple store a few weeks ago and watched a tech replace a fan
in a Macbook pro. He said the laptop was about a year old. When he
removed all the screws and popped it open, I was amazed by how clean it
was inside. No visible dust, not even on the fan.

Do you have no idea of the number of ON hours or the environment the
machine was operating in? I doubt if Apple uses any *magic* technique
to keep their laptops from ingesting dust.

Quack, quack, quack

Informative answer.