Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default Thumbs Up & Down

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 18:14:11 -0600, "Mike"
wrote:

"jeff" wrote in message ...
I knew this would bring you out!

At the height of the storm, a visual would have been impossible, and the
radar was useless, also. I could tell by the feel I was still holding,
but it would have been impossible to know if it was dragging slowly.

If you put a stethoscope on your anchor line you could hear it dragging. A
tension gauge will also tell if you are dragging. The tension signal will
be discontinuous whenver the anchor drags, very similar to the force
required to break static friction.

All that is true. A hand on the line can maybe feel the same thing as
a tension gauge. An electronic dodad, however, can, potentially, call
you on the cell phone while you are in town. Fancy electronic alarms
of every type are generally a good idea if you go offshore, or even if
not. A single hander need all the help he can get. So do most of the
rest of us, whether we admit it or not.

Casady