DK DK is offline

Default Computer sleep mode

Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
Eisboch wrote:
The reason I started doing this is, as you pointed out, over time you
build up dust and the cooling becomes less effective.
This laptop is over 6 years old and I used to just leave it on 24/7.
I started shutting it down because I was concerned the cooling
probably wasn't as efficient as when it was new. But, so far, no
problems.

Eisboch
How much dust ingestion are you going to get on a decently built
laptop?

After 6 years, quite a bit as I found. I didn't take it completely
apart, but enough so to expose the CPU, heatsink, fans, etc.
This laptop has 4 miniature fans. I was surprised at how much dust
had accumulated.

Eisboch
So...blow the dust out every few months.
I cleaned what I could get to without taking the whole computer apart.
Someone here thoughtfully gave me a link to HP's procedure for doing so,
I read it and chickened out. I am real good at taking things apart.
The track record for putting it back together isn't as good.

Eisboch

THere's a really good video on taking apart a MacBook Pro, which I have
watched. But I saw a tech at the mac store do it, and it wasn't something
I'd like to try. Too many really small screws.

Exactly. Plus, on this HP, there are several little "insert pin and push
until cover releases".
I don't trust them.

Eisboch

Do you have fat, WAFA, fingers?

I use a vacuum, not a blower, unless I have the case open. The same
should work well with a laptop. Our laptops aren't on 24/7 so they
don't have the chance to accumulate that kind of dust.