Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

Default Epoxy under Varnish on deck?

I went the goo route on a mahogany threshhold for my front door.
I took a perfectly good piece of beautiful honduras mahogany,
then laid a layer of 6 ounce glass and epoxy and nine coats of
Captains Spar varnish. The next year I had yellow spots where
the epoxy started to degrade from UV (this is a west exposure for
the threshhold, in Seattle). I took it out, stripped off the epoxy
and glass, and then laid nine coats of varnish on it. It's been
good for about 8 years. I normally lay on an additional coat
every year but I did neglect for four years in a row before I
thought I was pushing my luck, so I laid on two layers of varnish
last year.

My thoughts with the glass and epoxy was to keep the threshhold
from getting scuffed from traffic, but most people don't want to step
on it because is looks like a piece of furniture. I have kids now so
we'll see how it does with them.

Matt

"P.C. Ford" wrote in message

Never could understand the reasoning behind using epoxy as a "primer"
coat. Horrible to fair. If any repairs did to be made, the patched
area will be a different color from the older rest of the boat.
Unless, of course, you want to strip all the epoxy off and start
again.

If you use all varnish, you have to strip the panel contigous with the
repair. If there is a color difference, this could be ameliorated with
dye or stain.

Some people just love goo, I guess.