Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default KInda a maybe question .. new diesel ??

On 2008-08-24 09:10:53 -0400, "Thomas, Spring Point Light"
said:

I"ve got a good engine,, but it is gas.

Have thought about going the diesel route..

Since the fall is just starting :: where would/shæould I start
looking for a good 20hp diesel for a sailboat? Would like to find a
good used one,, but it not used .. where is the best new dealer place?

Seems like everyone I know has a Yanmar.

We repowered with a Yanmar and couldn't be happier 16 seasons later.

BUT, if I were to do it again, I'd upgrade a working gas engine or
switch to a rebuilt drop-in diesel, as the Yanmar, professionally
installed, would cost somewhat upwards of $15k these days.

IF you can justify the cost over your expected use of the boat, I'd go
for a modern diesel, but expect to replace everything from the
batteries and cables to the exhaust.

If you want to improve an existing engine, perhaps the best investment
is a new prop. The new ones are considerably better than those of 20-30
years ago. CDI's composite props are SWEET!

--
Jere Lull