Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] is offline

Default Computer sleep mode

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:03:20 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"D.Duck" wrote in message
m...

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Thought I might offer this, even though I don't understand it, in case
anyone else has a similar issue.

If you use hibernate mode the machine completely powers itself time after
a user selected period of time. This minimizes dust ingestion. The
recovery time on our laptop is less than 15 seconds after touching the
power button.

HTH.

I experimented with both "sleep" and "hibernate" modes. Frankly, as far as
power usage is concerned, I don't see any difference.
In both, the display, hard drive and cooling fans stop operating.

The reason I started doing this is, as you pointed out, over time you build
up dust and the cooling becomes less effective.
This laptop is over 6 years old and I used to just leave it on 24/7. I
started shutting it down because I was concerned the cooling probably wasn't
as efficient as when it was new. But, so far, no problems.

Murphy's 32nd Law of Computer Operations:

Computers never work the way they are supposed to. Especially when
nothing is wrong with them.