Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Computer sleep mode

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 04:48:28 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

wrote in message
et...
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:03:20 -0400, Eisboch wrote:

I experimented with both "sleep" and "hibernate" modes. Frankly, as
far as power usage is concerned, I don't see any difference. In both,
the display, hard drive and cooling fans stop operating.

There is a little more power being used in sleep mode as it needs to keep
power going to memory. Eventually, the batteries will drain, and it will
switch to hibernate mode. Not a concern for a desktop, but it is of
minor concern for a laptop.

Personally, I keep my desktops running 24/7, but not my laptops. I don't
really think they were built with the necessary cooling. I did manage to
fry an old Thinkpad. A capacitor melted. It might not have been
inadequate cooling, as there were a bunch of defective capacitors out
there when the Thinkpad was made.

They RAM is powered during *hibernate* also.

I think hibernate writes RAM to disk then restores on awakening.
Also mapped the video to disk.
IBM pioneered this on the PS/1, which I had.
Called it "Rapid Resume."
Pretty slick. You could have a few windows open - think that about
Win 3.1 time - power off, and everything would write to disk.
It would restore as it was when powered back on, and faster too, since
it was writing from contiguous disk space to RAM and video instead
of disk seeking for all the app components.
The Rapid Resume software was dependent on proprietary IBM internals
however, and didn't last long as PC's were rapidly moving to multi-mfg
components.
My PS/1 was the Consultant, a full tower, and except for my original
IBM PC (8088) I've always built the big towers.
You should see the case on this sucker. Outside of a server-on-wheels
case, this is the biggest I could find.
Had it shipped on a semi-truck, then transferred to a smaller truck to
get to my house. Paid UPS for that job.
Don't really understand those laptops, though I carted a laptop from
work for years. Hated using that thing unless it was hooked to the
workstation on my work desk, then I didn't notice it.
It was a brand new IBM and lasted only a couple years before the HD
crashed and I had to get "redeployed." Major PITA.
I guess for work or cruising a laptop is necessary, but when I go on
vacation for up to 3 weeks I manage to go cold turkey on computers.
BTW, I use a set of soft bristled brushes and a jury rigged small
diameter tube taped to a vacuum nozzle for cleaning computer
internals. The flex hose used for blowing up air mattresses works
well. All the canned air I've bought is too wet.
Besides, it ****es me off to buy canned air. It just does.

--Vic