D.Duck D.Duck is offline

Default Computer sleep mode

"hk" wrote in message
D.Duck wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
Eisboch wrote:
"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
Thought I might offer this, even though I don't understand it, in
case anyone else has a similar issue.

If you use hibernate mode the machine completely powers itself time
after a user selected period of time. This minimizes dust ingestion.
The recovery time on our laptop is less than 15 seconds after touching
the power button.

HTH.

I experimented with both "sleep" and "hibernate" modes. Frankly, as
far as power usage is concerned, I don't see any difference.
In both, the display, hard drive and cooling fans stop operating.

The reason I started doing this is, as you pointed out, over time you
build up dust and the cooling becomes less effective.
This laptop is over 6 years old and I used to just leave it on 24/7.
I started shutting it down because I was concerned the cooling probably
wasn't as efficient as when it was new. But, so far, no problems.

Eisboch

How much dust ingestion are you going to get on a decently built laptop?

Now, a desktop, especially a homebrew desktop, is different. I just open
up the panels on mine and use canned air to blow the dust out every
couple of months.

Every laptop I've looked at have a grill over the area where the fan in
sucking in fresh air. What is decently built that is different from that
design?

I didn't say "no" dust would get in, I implied it would be minimal. I was
at the Apple store a few weeks ago and watched a tech replace a fan in a
Macbook pro. He said the laptop was about a year old. When he removed all
the screws and popped it open, I was amazed by how clean it was inside. No
visible dust, not even on the fan.

Do you have no idea of the number of ON hours or the environment the machine
was operating in? I doubt if Apple uses any *magic* technique to keep their
laptops from ingesting dust.