HK HK is offline

Default Computer sleep mode

Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
Eisboch wrote:
The reason I started doing this is, as you pointed out, over time you
build up dust and the cooling becomes less effective.
This laptop is over 6 years old and I used to just leave it on 24/7.
I started shutting it down because I was concerned the cooling probably
wasn't as efficient as when it was new. But, so far, no problems.

Eisboch
How much dust ingestion are you going to get on a decently built laptop?

After 6 years, quite a bit as I found. I didn't take it completely
apart, but enough so to expose the CPU, heatsink, fans, etc.
This laptop has 4 miniature fans. I was surprised at how much dust had
accumulated.

Eisboch

So...blow the dust out every few months.

I cleaned what I could get to without taking the whole computer apart.
Someone here thoughtfully gave me a link to HP's procedure for doing so, I
read it and chickened out. I am real good at taking things apart. The
track record for putting it back together isn't as good.

Eisboch

THere's a really good video on taking apart a MacBook Pro, which I have
watched. But I saw a tech at the mac store do it, and it wasn't
something I'd like to try. Too many really small screws.