[email protected] justwaitafrekinminute@gmail.com is offline
Senior Member

Default Computer sleep mode

On Aug 24, 9:59*pm, "D.Duck" wrote:
"hk" wrote in message

. ..

Eisboch wrote:
"D.Duck" wrote in message
om...
"Eisboch" wrote in message
news:v6ednZ0Bcdnb2SzVnZ2dnUVZ_qLinZ2d@giganews. com...

Thought I might offer this, even though I don't understand it, in case
anyone else has a similar issue.

If you use hibernate mode the machine completely powers itself time
after a user *selected period of time. *This minimizes dust ingestion.
The recovery time on our laptop is less than 15 seconds after touching
the power button.

HTH.

I experimented with both "sleep" and "hibernate" modes. * Frankly, as far
as power usage is concerned, I don't see any difference.
In both, the display, hard drive and cooling fans stop operating.

The reason I started doing this is, as you pointed out, over time you
build up dust and the cooling becomes less effective.
This laptop is over 6 years old and I used to just leave it on 24/7. * *I
started shutting it down because I was concerned the cooling probably
wasn't as efficient as when it was new. * *But, *so far, no problems.

Eisboch

How much dust ingestion are you going to get on a decently built laptop?

Now, a desktop, especially a homebrew desktop, is different. I just open
up the panels on mine and use canned air to blow the dust out every couple
of months.

Every laptop I've looked at have a grill over the area where the fan in
sucking in fresh air. *What is decently built that is different from that
design?- Hide quoted text -

He has a special one. It was gifted to him by Bill Gates for testing
on his LTP, but he can't tell you because it's a national secret only
he and a few world leaders know about It's code name is "Lobsta
Boat"...