posted to rec.boats.electronics
Matt Colie[_5_] Matt Colie[_5_] is offline

Default log

Alec,

Does the paddle wheel always stop with the same blade down?

When it sort of works does it read about half what you expect?

If yes, buy a paddle wheel and replace it before you do anything else.

To date, I have replaced the paddles wheels on no less than four
Raytheon/Autohelm/Raymarine units. All had magnets gone. the corrode
as soon as there is any breach of the plastic they are molded into.

Matt Colie
www.yachtek.com

Alec wrote:
I have a Autohelm Tri Data log and depthsounder.
It has always been no trouble until this year when the log has been playing
up.
It started by being intermittent and now does not indicate at all in normal
use.
If I remove the sensor unit from the hull and spin the wheel it seems to
work. I have given it a good clean. However it still does not work in normal
use.
I suppose there could be something on the hull but as the hull is very clean
and the boat performs normally I suspect the hull is clean.

Is there a known problem with these units? Does the magnet ever wear out?
The unit is probably 15 or so years old. can a new paddle wheel help?

Alec