Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Thumbs Up & Down

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:51:59 -0400, jeff wrote:

Thumbs up to the EnGenius 362 EXT USB WiFi with 7 dB antenna (about $65
from Keenan Systems) which has been able to connect up with the 'net
almost wherever we are. Thumbs down for not providing a native Linux
driver. (And I suppose a thumbs up to those who neglect to turn on
security on their routers!)

I still use my 362 once in a while but our real workhorse is now a
Engenius EOC-3610S-EXT from www.wlanparts.com It is not quite as
easy to configure as the 362 but it requires no driver at all, has
minimal co-ax losses and gives a more stable conection. The 3610 can
be mounted at the top of the mast if you wish, with a POE ethernet
down feed.

Yes, maybe I'll go with the POE next year. This was my first year of
WiFi connection, and all and all it was pretty nice, though always an
adventure.

Thumbs up to the CPP bottom paint I put on 16 months ago - we got some
slime, but were still able to sail at 8.5 knots. Detractors said going
down from Micron Extra (twice the price!) would have a big penalty but
it doesn't seem to be that bad.

Exactly what paint is CPP and where do you get it?

West Marine ablative, like Micron. I believe that the year I bought it,
Interlux was the supplier, but it probably goes to the lowest bidder
each year!