Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default headsail furlers -the good, the bad and the ugly...sound off!

On 2008-08-22 13:11:47 -0400, (Richard

On 2008-08-20 17:49:01 -0400,
(Richard
Casady) said:

Some reason a furler couldn't have a shear pin like an outboard motor?

A real good one: If you DO have high enough winds that you need to
winch in, the possible cost of overstressing the luff is well below
that of losing the boat.

The shear pin is to protect the metal, not the sail.

Casady

Sorry for my imprecision.

When I said "luff", I was talking about the metal/plastic of the furler.

On the high chance that the metal might withstand more than the design
limits as represented by the shear pin, it should be given the chance
to save the boat.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's pages: