Jim Conlin

Default Imperial--> Metric conversion

Sailcloth weight is different. It's measured as the weight of a lineal yard at a
width of 28", i think. So, '6 oz.' sailcloth is actually about 7.7 oz/yd.^2.

Fiberglass mat is measured in oz./ft^2. So 3/4 oz. mat is 6.75 oz./yd.^2 .

"William R. Watt" wrote:

"steen" ) writes:
Hi,

Glass cloth said to be i.e 4oz, what is this in gr/m2 ??

Its not a straight units conversion. I was reading a book about sail
making recently. There is something about cloth width which makes 4 oz
cloth not equal to 4 oz per sq yard in either the US or the UK. The book
has gone back to the public library so I can't post the information. I
don't rmember if its bigger in the US or in the UK.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm