Larry Larry is offline

Default Engine alarm oddity

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

Thanks, I'll look into all that.

I have a volt meter on the panel and checked it frequently after this
event. It held steady at 14.0 but electric loads on my boat are about
as minimal as they get. No refridgeration or big screen TV. Half the
interior lighting and the anchor light are LED.

Question about belts. Mine is toothed (smooth pulleys). On
airplanes, we would check for belt slippage by feeling the belt and
pulleys and finding our fingers black from rubber dust. You mention
belt polishing. My fingers came away from both the pulleys and belt
absolutely clean. Is the formulation of the new belts different?
(Remember, the FAA makes aircraft use 30 - 50 year old technology for
everything).

--
Roger Long

Your hands came away from the belt clean? Has the engine been started
since it was put on??....(c Belts grind their whole lives...planned
obsolescence. Get one of the 100A load testers for $15. That will tell
us.

What may have happened is a rectifier diode shorted during operation,
locking the now-shorted alternator making the belt squeal until the
shorted diode burned itself open due to the massive current from its own
coils and the now-shorted battery....for just a few seconds at most.
After that it wouldn't short anything because it's an open. You hardly
hear it in a car when it happens.