Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default KInda a maybe question .. new diesel ??

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:10:53 GMT, "Thomas, Spring Point Light"
wrote:

I"ve got a good engine,, but it is gas.

Have thought about going the diesel route..

Since the fall is just starting :: where would/should I start looking for
good 20hp diesel for a sailboat? Would like to find a good used one,,
but it not used .. where is the best new dealer place?

Seems like everyone I know has a Yanmar.

I assume you have an Atomic 4? If it's running well I'd leave it
alone. You will never find a more reliable, easy to work on engine.

A new Yanmar, dealer installed, will probably be more than $10K. Mack
Boring is one of their main distributors in the North East but any
good diesel mechanic in your area should know how to get one. Used
prices are all over the place but you have to be suspicious about
condition. Unless the boat has been totaled (without sinking), why
would anyone get rid of a good running diesel?

One possible used source is a generator shop. People sometimes
replace generators for reasons other than a worn out engine. You will
have to locate a matching transmission, control panel, engine mounts,
etc. Unless you can get it close to free, probably more trouble than
it's worth.