Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Codswollop!!!

Comments interspersed.

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
Cod Almighty - August 22

We sailed off our mooring in Portland in the endings of a mild
Nor'wester on Wednesday morning at about 9AM. We'd timed our
departure to take advantage of the falling tide, and got a nice
lift as we exited the Portland approach lanes. The winds were
piping at 18-25 knots NW, with gusts to 30, so we put in a single
reef at the mooring, and sailed on the main only until the
expected dying wind.

Way undercanvassed for the mild winds. Totally unbalanced sailplan for the
conditions.

Flying Pig stood up and single-reef sailed along very comfortably
in moderate seas. snip

One would hope any sailboat would 'stand up' under a shortened main. Duh!

That's very good, because even very experienced sailors sometimes
never shake their seasickness (Lin Pardey comes to mind; she's
regularly seasick, despite her world-girdling experience and
longevity at sea, along with several publications about heavy
weather); if she can get past that, she'll be far more effective
on watch...

People who are chronically seasick should find something else to do other
than boating.

snip

Following my repair of the rot in the Vee, the area of support of
the staysail reinforcing cable securing the cabin roof from
flexing, I also slacked the babystay (inner forestay for the
staysail) so that the mast wasn't deformed as it had been before,
and we had a marvelous cutter-rigged (genoa and inner foresail)
run in about 10 knots of apparent wind and brilliant sunshine.
All signs pointed to our having pretty well tweaked the standing
rigging (the stainless steel wires which keep the mast in place),
and the boat balanced marvelously.

What's with this parenthetical crap talking down to people as if they were
totally ignorant of sailing terms. Did you learn it from that other wannabe
Zac?

Get a clue. There are few things more ludicrous than newbies trying to
educate others who are even more clueless.

snip

Wilbur Hubbard