Lloyd Sumpter

Default Small, cheap diesel?

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:37:06 +0000, Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,

Any suggestions on where I might look for an old, cheap, 5-10hp diesel
suitable for an inboard engine? Maybe a tractor engine, or "stationary"...? Any
thoughts?

Lloyd

Thanks to all who replied! It's great to know others share my dreams of
designs based on feel and sound rather than performance.

But Reality has set in: Even if I use a Briggs&Stratton, I'll be fracturing many
laws here in Canada. I'd need a Hull Ident No, Conformity Plate (Conform? not
likely!), Capacity plate, and since it's an inboard, a fire extinguisher,
approved inboard fuel tank, explosion-proof electrics (Yeah - how do you
eliminate the spark on a B&S magneto?). Geez, the fees alone would cost me more
than the boat!

Ahhh....for those bygone days when the Gov't wasn't "taking care" of you...My
dad had a wooden boat (10ft?) with a 1 1/2hp Lawson (Kinda like a B&S), The
engine outlasted the boat, and neither one blew up, despite not having any HIN,
plates, or approvals.

But those old Listers (and the Indian clones, the Listeroids) sure look and
sound nice! (BTW, the sound bite was a 1-cyl 6hp Lister)

Lloyd - Off to build a 1 1/2 Sheet fishing pram...