Bruce in Bangkok[_8_] Bruce in Bangkok[_8_] is offline

Default Boat winches KNOL

In article lutions,
lid says...
"Mark" wrote in message
It is possible to configure most large winches to work either
clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Ryk

Why would you want to do this?

America's Cup boats have right and left handed jib winches so the lead
is perfect to the fairlead. My boat has jib winches of the same
handedness and there's chafe on the port side coaming when trimming
smaller jibsfixed by a second fairlead car aft.

Right. No doubt, but 99.999% of boats would not do this. AC boats are highly
specialized, and there are probably better solutions to chafe than confusing
other sailors with winches that are non-standard.

Given that many winches allow the pawls to be put in for either right or
left hand rotation what is the "standard"?

My own preference is the the lines to wind on the sheet winch drums from
outboard, keeps them from rubbing on the cockpit combings. Mast winches
are standardized to wind on from forward.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok