Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default out of zinc

"Steve" wrote in message

On 22 Aug 2008 09:27:01 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 06:36:25 GMT, Steve said:

As I said before, I saw that press release. It's almost 2 years old.
The US Mint can make all the "rules" it wants. But until the rule
gets into the US code, it's unenforcable in US court.

Sorry, but that's simply wrong. There are circumstances where regulations
are invalid--typically where a court finds they exceed the authority
granted
the agency by statute, but that's not the usual case. Just ask the execs
of
any number of banks that have been penalized recently for violation
regulations under the Bank Secrecy Act.

Ah yes, you're right. So I started searching Title 31 (money and
finance: treasury) of the CFR as of 1 July 2007 (1 July 2008 isn't
available yet) and couldn't find anything relavent. Since the rule is
from 2006, it should be there. I'd love to find this rule somewhere
because that would make all those souvenir coin press machines
illegal.

Steve

No it wouldn't. It's only illegal if you're intending to defraud by altering
the coin.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com