Brian Whatcott

Default Gasoline pumped to diesel tank.....

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:35:29 -0500, "rock_doctor"
wrote:

"Ytter" wrote in message
. ..
Engsol! Engine would start-run for 3-4 sec and die,then I started again
after I checked thermostat-was OK,changed oil and filter.,I pushed the
throttle almost to the max ,black smoke,muddy,greasy,heavy smoke came out
with some water-engine run for 2 min and continue spiting this black water
and stopped abruptly,cut like a knife///
Ytter

It does sound like the head gasket went. I bet if you pull the glow plugs
and crank it you will get water out of the cylinders (the reason it stopped
abruptly). Take a half gal of your diesel to somebody who can test the
density (specific gravity) of the fuel.

////
mark

Worthy advice - but the relative densities are quite close.
Better to test for viscosity.

This is not difficult: prepare a can with a nail hole knocked into
its base. Fill with each fuel in turn. Time the period to empty the
container. The way-slow one is diesel. This is the right test.

My opinion, as always.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK