Herodotus Herodotus is offline

Default Title of "Captain"

How do you like the tinted lenses? I've had a pair or two and however
they tint the lenses always seems to give things a reddish glow. I
didn't like them at all. Of course I'm cheap and had dyed plastic
lenses.

I usually get a light grey and have had no trouble. It's remembering
where I put my glasses down that causes me no end of problems. Aboard
Herodotus I always keep a spare pair near the chart table so that I
can don them and find the glasses that I have only just put down.

By the way, I've discovered the "Gravity" a news reader much like Agent
but with better filtering. you can not only put people in the "Bozo
Bin" but you can exclude posts containing any work, name or phrase in
any part of the message. Not just the heading as Agent allows. I never
see certain individuals, or even a reference to them, using the new
reader.

Thanks Bruce, I shall investigate. Sounds good.

Nice to hear from you. I am trying to work out my movements. They say
that the best time to head west from Curacao is September but not to
reach the Marquesas before the end of March. Means a long time waiting
and a longer time away from home. Thinking of visiting Cartegena in
Colombia, diving in the San Blas touring Costa Rice but am yet
undecided. It is not as much fun as touring by land on one's own.

Due to its weight I left my copy of Cornell's routing guide on the
boat.

The joys of cruising and routing with due deference to weather
systems.

BTW, was spending some time staying with a best friend and his family
in Selangor and zipping about the district and into town etc on 125 cc
motorobikes and scooters. I had been reading the progress of a Korean
man on a 49cc Honda Rucus from Charleston to Florida, across to
Califormia and back across to the eastern seaboard, carrying all his
gear on the bike.

Upshot is that, after I return with Herodotus, friend will take some
leave as we plan to travel from Singapore to Thailand, up through
Burma, across to Cambodia and Laos and then the length of Vietnam. My
son in Sydney (16) and friend's son (17) - good friends for years,
also want to come as do 5 of said nephew's friends. Still at the early
stages of planning but intend using mountain tents and camping along
the way. I have started emailing Customs colleagues and friends in
these countries, asking for their help and advice. Not sure when this
will happen as need to do so in school holidays but want to do it
while the boys are still young.

Thus we may meet up with you yet (can we camp in your back yard -
joking). They are all great kids. Where else in the world do you get a
conversation like this one I had with my nephew when his younger
siblings and parents were away for a few days, leaving only me, the
maid and his bed-ridden grandmother in the house. (Most Malay and
Chinese kids I know are not used to sleeping in a room on their own)

"Uncle?"

"Yes Faiz"

"Can I sleep with you tonight?"

"Why? Are you afraid of the dark?"

"No, of course not!" (trying to sound adult)

"You're scared of ghosts aren't you?"

Head shakes agreement.

"OK then, get into bed"

Same kid and his friends cart me off on the back of their motorbikes
to watch them play indoor soccer and even buy me coffee afterwards. My
own wouldn't be seen dead with their parents shopping.

I love these kids. As the Malays say "Children are the sunshine of our
lives"

cheers
Peter