Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] is offline

Default Hey Jaffa Gene...

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:58:32 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 01:16:19 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|I was just poking around your web site and saw the Kearny and Trecker
|mills.
|
|I didn't know any of those critters still lived. :)
|
|My Uncle Dan was Chief Engineer for K&T during the 50/60's and was
|involved in the development of their push prop float plane - can't
|remember the model of it.

Yep, I have two of the old guys.... A Model "D" #2 (this one is a bit
rare) and a Model "H" 2 Plain.

Cool old tools man - WAY cool.

Love old machine tools.

I shoudl take a picture of my Waldon Tool Works (Worcester MA) 48 inch
throat band saw that's stored at my friend Harold's machine shop for
you.

You would not believe how much that band saw weighs. :)

I don't think K&T ever had their "own" aircraft. In the early to mid
60's they assembled Piaggio's P.136L-1 s and L-2s under the corporate
names "Trecker Gull" and "Super Gull."

They looked sorta like this:
http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1085300/

I suspect that most of those aircraft are either retired or had a
field approved engine change. The original Franklin and Lycoming
engines were orphaned by their respective companies...

Yep - yep - that's it. My uncle did something with then in
development stage - maybe airframe mods or something?

Wow - I'm amazed I even remembered anything about that plane.

Boy that goes back a ways.

Damn dude - I'm old.