rock_doctor

Default Gasoline pumped to diesel tank.....

"Ytter" wrote in message
.. .
Engsol! Engine would start-run for 3-4 sec and die,then I started again
after I checked thermostat-was OK,changed oil and filter.,I pushed the
throttle almost to the max ,black smoke,muddy,greasy,heavy smoke came out
with some water-engine run for 2 min and continue spiting this black water
and stopped abruptly,cut like a knife-mechanic was present when we did

that
and said that he doesn't know what is wrong.He has spent 2 hours checking
what was wrong and left me without answer.Of course took the money for
trying.
Ytter

It does sound like the head gasket went. I bet if you pull the glow plugs
and crank it you will get water out of the cylinders (the reason it stopped
abruptly). Take a half gal of your diesel to somebody who can test the
density (specific gravity) of the fuel. Go back to the same pump and get
another gal and get a receipt. Then get a gal at another marina and have
them all tested. If the density of your fuel is the same as the dock pump
and close to the third pump then you have all diesel. If the 1st marina has
a lower density fuel compared to the 2nd marina then the 1st marina's tanks
have a mix... Gasoline has a lower density then diesel, actually if you
have access to a extremely accurate scale you could weigh a little of each
(subtracting out the weight of the container) and still find the density but
it would be easier to find somebody that has a hydrometer or a petroleum
diffractometer. A good diesel mechanic should be able to determine the
damage. Volvo may help you if you contact their customer service dept.,
after all it is their engine and they want your return business.

good luck,
mark