Steve

Default Cutlass bearing/ shaft bearing noise

It sounds like a water flow problem. I don't think I have the two holes you
are talking about. My cutlass bearing is in the strut, and the shaft comes
out of the hull. It might be water flow thru the cutlass bearing. Maybe the
front of the bearing got some debris in it and no water is flowing thru the
bearing.

--
Thanks,

Steve Leonard
Barr, Leonard Company
425.641.6844
"Les" wrote in message
om...
Steve,

Just received a message from my friend:

"I think I got a handle on this squeal problem. A few days ago I tried
something I have been thinking of doing for a while. It might sound
like a nutty thing to do.

Two 3/8" water circulation holes (port and stb) are drilled just in
front of the bearing as the cutless comes out of the deadwood.
I thought maybe not enough water was circulating to the bearing
because of coral growth on the shaft and bearing within the stern
tube. So, I blocked off one of the holes, fitted a plastic tube
connected to a squeegee bottle that was filled with about a cup of
Muriatic acid. With mask and fins I slowly squeezed the acid into the
hole (and thru the bearing). LOTS of large bubbles flowed out of the
bearing as the coral got eaten. Yesterday we made a 50 mile run to
Fethiye Turkey with only a hint of the problem. I will squirt a little
more in but I think it's solved."

Hope that helps.

Les