Chuck Cox Chuck Cox is offline

Default Title of "Captain"

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:56:51 +1000, Herodotus
wrote:

Does the title come with a US boating qualification or is it assumed
with boat ownership as is the weekend boater's cap with "Captain"
emblazoned loudly and the gold leaves of an admiral of the fleet?

I was given the title of "Capt" by an internet order form that
insisted I select an honorific. Nobody over 12 calls me "Mr" and I was
far too modest to select "Commodore." Now I automatically select
"Capt" whenever I order fishing or sailing supplies.

The federal goverment clearly thinks I'm a Captain since the United
States Postal Service delivers all that mail addressed to "Capt Cox."
However, when I told my dad I now outranked him, he muttered something
about having been a "real" Commander in the "real" Navy, so clearly
not all branches of the government are in agreement on this.
Chuck Cox
SynchroSystems - embedded computer design - http://synchro.com

my email is politician-proof, just remove the PORK