John John is offline

Default Title of "Captain"

On Aug 21, 11:11*am, Gordon wrote:
Molesworth wrote:
In article ,
*"Ernest Scribbler" wrote:

"Herodotus" wrote
I simply cannot imagine introducing myself as "Captain Peter"
Fair enough, skipper...

I can go with 'Skipper' as it's informal but accurate.

'Captain' has an authority that extends beyond a boat. IMO. And that
makes me uncomfortable whether applied to me or by anyone else.

* *And, of course, if you have a charter boat, your fares are naturally
going to call you Captain and you should refer to yourself as Captain
to make clear who is in command.
* Gordon

Captain never! . . . "the old man" works . . . lots of people call me
that! And for the traditionalists, its been used in the military for
years, without regards to the date on the birth certificate.