[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default Title of "Captain"

On Aug 21, 3:55 am, wrote:
"Captain", outside of the military, and in some business transactions,
is an honorific to be used by others to address you, not a prefix you
use yourself, unless it is in the course of conducting business where
knowing that you hold a Captain license is pertinent. It's not for
everyday use socially. ....

Just to be pedantic, in the US of A we get master's licenses, not
captain's. In commercial usage I think captain is a job title like
CEO or CFO. When I worked for an ocean shipping company the men in
charge of the box boats were always addressed as Captain when on
site. I've also know socially and sailed with a few unlimited masters
and they never called themselves captain and were only addressed as
such by others when making a point. Where I grew up there some elders
who were addressed as captain by everyone as a term of respect. On
the radio commercial operators often use the term "Cap" for each
other. On the docks I've occasionally heard the term used a bit
ironically as in "tricky current, Captain" after a really
reprehensible landing. On paperwork in the countries I've been to
they generally ask for the signature of the master or owner rather
than the captain.

-- Tom.