Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] is offline

Default Rescue Minor

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:54:01 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 02:15:03 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

It's an interesting design, but I'm confused about the tunnel system.
Looking at the drawing, it would appear that the prop sits half way
out of the water.

Than can't be very efficient.

Of course it can. Ever hear of an Arneson Drive. Only half the seven
blade prop is in the water. No drag from shaft, strut, prop hub.

I am aware of them, but I've never seen one on a small boat - say
under 24 feet. I know they claim to be 25% more efficient than other
drive systems - I couldn't say. I've never seen an Arneson Drive
system on any boat smaller than 40 foot.

It's a different technology anyway - their props are designed to match
a specific drive system while most props are designed for a different
application. As in you probably couldn't use a Arneson prop on a
standard outboard, but I could, if necessary, use a Merc prop on my
Evinrude.

My original point was that a standard prop operating half in half out
of the water would be a very inefficient use and application of power.

Specialized props and drives are a different animal.