Brian Whatcott

Default formica trim finish technique.

You are over-thinking this one. Of several methods you could use, you
*could* hand plane the edge. Clamp a batten to the top so the blade
of the plane reaches only the teak edging, if you must.
Or apply scotch tape. Or....

Brian W

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:03:00 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

About the only formica work I have done has always had lee rail or edge over
it.

I'm building a drop leaf cabin table that will have a formica top with teak
rails around it.. No problem there. The table top base material is 3/4" ply.

However, I want to add 3/4"X3/4" edge where the the drop leaf joint will be.
I want to trim this teak down so it will be finished flush with the formica.

I can't plane or sand it flush without scoring the formica surface.

I'm thinking use the rotor with a flush trimming bit (which has a guide
bearing).. My question would be, will the guide bearing cause any marks on
the formica surface?? Is there something that I should put on the formica
surface (wax, etc) to prevent burn marks or scoring??

Opinions, suggestions or experiences.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions