Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] is offline

Default Even the geek who has everything...

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:48:01 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:29:56 -0400, "Eisboch"

. ..
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:45:33 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
news On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:48:42 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Earl of Warwich, Duke of Cornwall, Marquies of Anglesea, Sir Reginald
P.
Smithers III Esq. LLC, STP. " wrote in message
news:S72dnXHEG803IDfVnZ2dnUVZ_qXinZ2d@comcas t.com...
Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
...is unlikely to have this toy:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/9836/

Only $1589.

This geek much prefers this ....

(new release of classic, 1965 twin .... 100% vacuum tube powered)

http://www.eisboch.com/65twin.jpg

Eisboch

I wondered why this was not done earlier.

Do the "experts" say this sounds the same as the 1965 version?

I don't know. Sounds the same to me, but I am no expert.
It has not been redesigned. Just re-released as a product. Same
cabinet
design, same Jensen "special" speakers, same tube pre-amps, reverb
drivers
and 6L6 output stage.

I have another, solid state Fender "Stage 1000" that has digital signal
processing, etc. Sounds ok, but not like the tube twin.
There isn't a chip, processor or digital circuit in it.

Eisboch

Does it have the original tube rectifier, or the later replacement?

Hold on .... I'll check ....

Must be a solid state (brick) rectifier. It has 10 tubes total .... (4)
6L6's, (2) 12AT7's, (4) 12AX7's.

Ah - now you ruined it.

Solid state - bleeeech.... :)

What does a full wave, solid state bridge recifier have to do with the sound
of the preamps and power amps?
All it does is supply clean B+ and bias voltages to the grids? I'll bet
the solids are cleaner, DC wise, than the tubes.

Eisboch

Yes, and solid state pre amps and power amps are cleaner than tube
amps, as well. Clean and accurate reproduction is not necessarily the
objective with tube amplifiers for musical instrument amplification.

How the power is delivered to tubes can measurably affect things such
as rise time and decay. I'm not promising that you can actually hear
the difference, but purists will swear they can even if it is a
physiological impossibility.