[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Even the geek who has everything...

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:50:49 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Yes, and solid state pre amps and power amps are cleaner than tube
amps, as well. Clean and accurate reproduction is not necessarily the
objective with tube amplifiers for musical instrument amplification.

How the power is delivered to tubes can measurably affect things such
as rise time and decay. I'm not promising that you can actually hear
the difference, but purists will swear they can even if it is a
physiological impossibility.

If you think about it though, the "power" is really being delivered by one
or more big filter capacitors. I never asked one if it cared how the power
got there. At that point, DC is DC.

Eisboch

You would think so, wouldn't you! Bear in mind that a vacuum tube is a
mechanical structure and not all of the power is part of the signal
path. You have to account for uneven heat, vibration and other
anomalies that all go into what come out. The vagaries of a wimpy,
tube rectified power supply, with hand rolled paper caps should not be
underestimated.

Purists will also insist that point to point wiring sounds different
than circuit board construction. They may be right about that in some
cases. Sounds crazy, though...