Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Boat winches KNOL

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:48:38 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:34:13 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:01:03 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

I guess there would be a very limited number of times one would want a
winch
that goes in the wrong direction. Perhaps, ask Ryk said, if there was an
issue with lines, but how often would that come up realistically?

Why does it make a difference which way you turn the handle? What
makes one way wrong and the other right? I don't buy it.

Casady

Nothing, except what 99.999% of all sailors are used to doing.

I have a shower in which one valve turns one way and the other the
other. Seems pretty dumb.

You want things to tighten clockwise and loosen counterclockwise.
No sense getting "artistic" about these things.
I've seen faucet setups as you describe. Dumb.
Remember those old cars - Chrycos I think - that had left hand threads
on the lugs of some of the wheels? PITA when you first tried to get a
wheel off the "natural" way.

--Vic.