RodiniaOne

Default Need Advice on Fiberglass

"DAVID MC CARVER" wrote in message . ..
I installed several pieces of fiberglass yesterday and did not use enough
hardener. It is still soft and sticky. Can I just brush some hardener over
the surface or do I need to remove everything that didn't dry?
Thanks-- Dave

All good suggestions so far.
If you used Epoxy you will need to remove the lot and re apply. Epoxy
will only cure if the correct ratio of resin and hardner is used and
MIXED PROPERLY.

If you used Polyester or Vinylester resin, your in luck. I build
plugs and molds for various application and this has happened to me
ONCE before. I say once because you tend not to forget this quickly -
especially if it is in the creation of a large mold...

Polyester resin will eventtually harden on its own (1-2 years).
Probably longer than you are willing to wait. The danger here is that
if the exterior "skin" hardens before the inner portions harden, you
are left with pockets of styreen gasses released during the curing
process inside the laminate. This isn't a big deal if you were simply
bonding 2 pieces together (may reduce the bond strenght), but causes
significant issues if you are creating a f/g part in a mold.

Applying heat is the best idea if you have originally added some
hardner to your mix(but not enough). Build a plastic tent over the
soft area and heat it with a small cube type heater (with thermostat)
for a day or so. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too hot - you
should be able to put your bare hand on (or beside) the part and hold
it for a few seconds, any hotter and you might ignite the thing.

If you forgot the hardner all together, heat isn't much help as it
will take too long and leave you with a "soft" cure. If this is the
case (be honest!) then you might be able to mix a very "cold" batch of
resin: polyester resin, 2% to 5% MEKP hardner by volume, and add 2-3%
"air dry" to the mix(air dry = disolved parafin wax - available from
any fiberglass shop). Apply over the area, let sit overnight and then
heat up with the plastic tent. The outer coat should cure overnight
and the inner laminates will cure in time. I wouldn't suggest this if
the affected part is structural in any way as it will take some time
to cure and will leave styreen pockets.

Let us know what you tried and the results.
Good luck
R.