[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

Default proper prop pitch

On Aug 17, 5:02*pm, wrote:
I still do not know if my prop is pitched right and do not even know
my real mpg for my Tolman. *Whenever I look at my fuel meter and
divide the speed by it I get roughly 4-4.5 mpg. *HOWEVER, I have only
had the boat to WOT twice because conditions never allow it. *When I
was at WOT, I forgot to look at the tach. *This means I cannot
determine if I am pitched right for WOT. *BUT, does WOT mean anything
if conditions do not allow me to use it?
I cannot complain about fuel usage because i have never used more than
7 gallons/day, even when we spent the afternoon with 6 people aboard
towing the tube (90 hp 2 cycle Yamaha). *My recent scalloping trips
used only 6 gallons each. *With so little fuel usage, is there any
reason to worry about proper pitch?

If the prop is a little too small then there's not really much issue
as long as you are careful not to run at wot for any length of time.
Too large creates an additional load on the engine no matter what
speed you run at. If it seems to be performing reasonably then odds
are good that the prop is in the ballpark.