HK HK is offline

Default Watching boats in chop

wrote:
On Aug 17, 2:43 pm, hk wrote:
RMR wrote:
This is ridiculous.. the hybrids we make no adays are every bit as
strong as wood stringer, poly boats.. You can't compare what your dad
sold in his shop made of polyester resin, and the epoxy, mahogany,
glass and bi axle made now. It's in the engineering, you can spew all
you want, but you are wrong... The Toleman's in particular are some
beefy boats that go where your Parker never will. I won't let you pull
me into this one, you need to do your homework then come back and we
will talk..

Consider you probably have never even been close to a Parker, or climbed
aboard one and looked around, I find your comment laughable.

I've seen some stitch-and-glue dories around here, even a couple of
16-footers. I wasn't impressed.

What's the biggest stitch-and-glue heavy duty boat you've built that
regularly plies the ocean?

Toleman's are not sitch and glue.. you don't know what you don't
know...

"Tolman skiffs are dory-style skiffs with semi-vee bottoms made of
plywood/epoxy/fiberglass ***(sometimes called stitch-and-glue or
composite construction).***

"I have built over sixty since 1986 for sport and commercial use, and
many others have been built by amateurs and professionals in the US,
Canada, New Zealand, Europe, and elsewhere. I retired from building
skiffs commercially in 2000, and I now spend much of my summers using
mine here in Alaska.

I have designed three models, the "Standard," the "Widebody," and the
"Jumbo." The Standard and the Widebody are identical in profile, but the
Widebody has a 3-inch "chine flat" between the sides and bottom, like
most fiberglass boats (ten million fiberglass boats can't be wrong). The
Jumbo is a larger skiff in every dimension, has a 4-inch chine flat, and
has a deeper vee bottom. The Jumbo is designed specifically to use the
new four-stroke 115 to 150 horsepower engines."

From
http://www.alaska.net/~tolmanskiffs/

That would be Renn Tolman's site.

Next?