posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.scuba,uk.rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring
Lee Bell Lee Bell is offline

Default Why the Law of the Sea has to be the Law of the Jungle?

They're called Captains or pilots, not drivers. If they intoxicated,
report
them. There are, in fact, laws controlling that very much like those for
automobile driers. There are speed limits posted all over the place and
quite a few that apply even when not posted. On top of it all, there are
maximum wake and other requirements you've not bothered to notice.

I'll like you to elaborate more on this. Is enforcement as harsh and
frequent as on the roads?

More so in the intracoastal. Every city in S. Florida, plus the Coast
Guard, Marine Patol the Fish and Game Commission has boats on the
intracoastal enforcing the laws.

Are there open container laws?

Probably not, if for no other reason, because a lot of the boats, mine, for
example, have bars aboard. Having opened containers does not translate into
being impaired. There are laws against operating a boat under the
influence. They're quite similar to the ones for drivers if you're a
civilian. They're must more stringent if you're a licensed captain.

Are there speed limits?

Yes. How does it happen you have not observed the signs? They're all over
the intracoastal.

And are there wake requirements?

Yes. They're posted in various places along the intracoastal too.

Not that I care about the last issue.

You might. While my wake probably would not sink you, it would probably
make you uncomfortable.

Lee