Peggie Hall

Default Where to get houseboat insurance?

The Lazy Days I just bought is definately an aluminum hull--which
is the reason I bought it--and I believe that they all are. All of the ones
I've seen are anyway...maybe you just got it backwards.

Lazy Days were built in Buford GA, next to Lake Lanier where I kept my
boats for 20 years. Lanier was littered with 'em! And I knew the owner,
Jack Beacham. I won't argue that the first boats they built in the '60s
may have been aluminum, but by the time I moved to that area in the
mid-late '70s, they built only steel hulls. He had great people for
him...his plant manager--who did a lot of work on the side for me--was
the best plumber and finish cabinet worker on the lake...another one of
his employees is the best carpet layer I've ever known...he made more
moonlighting recarpeting houseboats and cruisers (including 2 of mine)
than he made during the day at Lazy Days.

Jack had a highly creative method of establishing a high resale value
for used Lazy's in the '60s and '70s...he watched the ads etc like a
hawk, and when one came on the market for less than he thought it should
be worth, he immediately bought it and put it back on the market at his
idea of the right price. It only took a few years to set the "book"
values for 'em and he was able to stop doing that. Like a lot of boat
builders, Lazy Days died an ignominious death in mid '90s. Jack finally
decided to retire and sold the company--but not the property--to someone
who drove it into the ground...he disappeared one Friday after cleaning
out the bank account...employees found out when their paychecks bounced.
Jack came out of retirement to take over again, but by then he had a
lot of competition from aluminum houseboats that cost a lot less to
build, so they had a lot more "glitz and glamour" stuff on 'em for the
same price or less than a new Lazy Days. He finally closed the plant in
the late '90s. Jack isn't suffering, though...the boatworks property
just keeps gettin' more valuable...he was the original owner of Holiday
Marina...he and his son Doug own Lazy Days Marina...they're doin' ok.

So I do know just a LITTLE bit about Lazy Days.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html