Curtis CCR

Default Where to get houseboat insurance?

Peggie Hall wrote in message ...
If all you want is liability insurance--which no boat owner should be
without IMO--consider just buying a personal liability umbrella policy
from your homeowners insurance carrier. $2 mil is typically under
$300/year.

Would a bad driving record effect the premium of a umbrella liability
policy?

And (going back to something the OP mentioned), why would an insurance
company require an out of water survey to write a liability only
policy?

The most iiability coverage included in most boat insurance policies
only 300-500k...which is peanuts if you should get sued these days.
Which is why I always carried another $2 mil umbrella...'cuz when you
get sued for anything arising out of your possible liability, it doesn't
matter which "pocket" the money to cover your behind is in, as long as
you have a full pocket somewhere. And with your driving record, I think
you'd better have one.

In a thread I started a few days ago, I passed on that the Coast Guard
is considering a regulation change that will *allow* states to require
proof of liability insurance in order to register your boat. I am
opposed to the change and submitted comments to the CG on it - but I
wholeheartedly agree that liability insurance is important. My
policies provide me with liability on all three of my boats -
including the 7ft Livingston.

Not to mention that my marina REQUIRES that I have liability coverage
with them listed as named insured.