posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.scuba,uk.rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring
KingOfTheApes KingOfTheApes is offline

Default might makes right

On Aug 14, 2:53*pm, Galen Hekhuis wrote:
It is a jungle. *From the law of gross tonnage that Lee mentions to
the fact that there are oodles of natural things out there that can
kill you. *Powerboats aren't the only thing. * (As a matter of fact,
I've had a powerboat with a bunch of teenagers almost sink their own
boat trying to play "sink the kayak" when they caught me on a lake in
Virginia. *They gave up in frustration, I barely even got wet. *Unless
it runs you over or something, a powerboat is no match for a kayak. It
can seem a little scary, however.) *It is much safer to sit inside and
watch TV.

You can always watch kayaking videos, right?

But this kid makes the wrong assumption first (it's NOT a jungle) and
then realized the hard truth...

'Looks like I’m wrong. According to this coast guard captain, one
should always assume that “might makes right” on the water. If you
see a vehicle larger than you....avoid it!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prDue...eature=related

Yeah man, you are in worse situation that a bike. Here you are fair
game for every single predator out there. And the least of your
worries are sharks and alligators.