John Wentworth

Default Where to get houseboat insurance?

Yes, I think we are talking about the same thing. Most umbrella policies are
a secondary coverage, that's why it's cheap. The policy doesn't get hit
until the primary coverage is exhausted.
That said, there are probably a thousand variations on insurance policies,
and a thousand different riders on those thousand policies. With the right
company, and the right premium, you can get any policy you want. Who knows,
there may be a company that will assume all liability up to $2M, from dollar
one, for all threats, for $300/year. I just haven't found them yet.
With such a policy you could eliminate the liability portion of all other
policies.

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
John Wentworth wrote:
The umbrella policies I looked at required you to maintain some level of
liability insurance on the insured item, if available. ( a boat needs

it, a
lawn mower doesn't).

I don't think we're talking about the same thing, John.

most insurance companies won't write only a personal liability policy
though--they want your homeowners too. My homeowners, vehicle and
umbrella are all with USAA...my boats never have been. I don't recall
their ever asking for proof that my boat was insured when I bought the
umbrella...otoh, it's been a while. I do remember that they pulled a
credit report and DMV, though.

--
Peggie