John Wentworth

Default Where to get houseboat insurance?

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
If all you want is liability insurance--which no boat owner should be
without IMO--consider just buying a personal liability umbrella policy
from your homeowners insurance carrier. $2 mil is typically under
$300/year.

The most iiability coverage included in most boat insurance policies
only 300-500k

The umbrella policies I looked at required you to maintain some level of
liability insurance on the insured item, if available. ( a boat needs it, a
lawn mower doesn't).The policy I purchased , with a $1M limit, requires a
$100,000 limit liability policy on my boat. The umbrella picks up at
$100,001 in liability coverage, I suspect that the level of boat liability
insurance is what drives the umbrella premium cost. My policy costs more
than $300/year, maybe I should look around.
A major advantage in having an umbrella policy is that it gives the
insurance company
a greater incentive to defend you in court.