John H.[_5_] John H.[_5_] is offline

Default Popular Mechanics Lawn Mower of the Year

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:23:02 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:07:42 GMT, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:49:25 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:18:11 -0700 (PDT), JimH
wrote:

Lawn-Boy Insight Platinum 10797

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...01.html?page=2

Pretty spiffy. But I think the pic was photoshopped.
My Craftsman with a Honda engine has been starting first pull for
about 5 years now. It was the less than half the price, but isn't
self-propelled. It's fire-engine red.

--Vic

Hell, my Murray has been doing the same thing. Probably cost a third on
that Craftsman and a fourth of the Lawn Boy.

Mine has the Briggs and Stratton. Bullet proof.

I think the Craftsman/Honda was about $250. 21".
I heard the Honda small engines were the best, but maybe things have
changed. My last house had a small enough yard I just used a reel
mover, then an electric I got real cheap from a guy driving by seeing
me pushing the reel. Had it in his trunk. Hope it wasn't stolen.
First mower I bought for this place was a Black and Decker battery
mower. It actually worked real good for about 4 years, then the
battery went. Think I paid $189. Biggest deficit is they're heavy.
I'll keep that Briggs and Stratton in mind for my next mower.
No sense in paying extra for a name.

--Vic

I think my Murray, from Wal Mart, was about $179. I've had it for about six
years now. Soon I'll change the spark plug. Maybe 2014, when I turn 70. For
my birthday. Oh, it's a push mower. I wore the wheels out and the Murray
folks wanted $72 for a set of four. Thank goodness for the local hardware
store which had them for $5.95 each.