DSK

Default double hull wth rot!

Monarch Canvas wrote:

Help!
I have run across an absolutley lovely 1954 Sparkman and Stephens 39ft
yawl.Double hull. Its one major problem is rot amidships from the shear to 5
planks down.

heh... boats never have just one problem!

The owner has tried to minimize the damage, but has deferred this
too long. I am afraid about what could be cooking between the hulls right now.
the hull is mahogany but I am thinking that marine plywood ripped to planks
would be better.

I don't think so. If this is a double planked hull, which it sounds like, then the
double layer of planking, alnog with the bond between layers, is a major part of
the structural integrity.

ANyway figuring on replacing the whole midship section, does
any think I may be able to do this for around $10k US or less?

Very doubtful.

Jim Conlin wrote:

Get a thorough survey by a surveyor who is competent with older wooden yachts.
Most aren't. These boats are not simple and diagnosing them isn't, either.

Agreed!

S&S was arguably the best US yacht designer of the period. Their boats were
built
to the very highest standards and anything less than top grade repair work will

destroy the value of the boat.

Agree again, but the issue here is that the value of the boat may already be in
the negative numbers. It's a shame thre aren't more good homes for needy boats...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King