Pete C

Default watertight coating for marine plywood deck

On 8 Feb 2004 12:10:57 -0800, (Ken Fraser)
wrote:

My Ballerina II boat has a marine plywood deck, currently covered with
canvas and Butinox, a proprietory paint coating with a rough surface.

It isn't watertight and water is penetrating beneath the paint/canvas
layer. I'm considering stripping down to the wood and sealing with
Smith Coat Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES)or something similar.

Can anyone provide any guidance?

It's best not to coat the deck with epoxy unless you are absolutely
certain no rainwater can get underneath.

Is the canvas failing where the edges of the ply are or in other
places?

If it's going at the edges of the ply then it may be due to movement
caused by expansion and contraction of the supporting timbers.

If it's going in other places then it may because the canvas has not
been painted properly when it was applied. The paint should fill the
weave of the canvas completely and the bond it to the ply leaving no
gap between them.

If you me know which one it is I could come up with some suggestions.

cheers,
Pete.

Ken Fraser
Tobermory, Mull (Scotland)