Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default headsail furlers -the good, the bad and the ugly...sound off!

The furling line should end in a ratchet block and then lead forward to the
cleat. The ideal location is such that you are located about mid way
between the block and the first fairlead. You can then reach down and swig
the line while holding the free end to lock the ratchet block. This lets
you develop quite a bit of extra power without the risk of overdoing it with
a winch ($$$$) and pump in the first few rolls.

I would have been in a real pickle last fall when caught close too a nasty
lee shore in a sudden gust front if I hadn't just converted to this
arrangement. I couldn't run off and was suddenly overpowered enough that
I'm not sure I could have gotten the boat to tack. New Englanders can read
the full story in the October "Points East". Anticipation is an important
part of using a roller rig.

--
Roger Long