posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default RM@30 from RM@1

"Heikki" wrote

If they can convince me there will not be a problem with abrasion at the
spreaders I may seriously look at synthetic rigging.

I have been thinking along similar lines for my project. If all the
numbers
I see are right, then it might well make sense to do all the standing
rigging in synthetic rope instead of metal wire. I expect the ropes will
only get better in the next few years before I actually get to start
building my dream boat, not to mention rigging her...

But even today, synthetic seems to be an option to consider! Does anyone
here have a good reason why not?

A ****ed off machete wielding Haitian high on mushrooms was the first thing
that came to my mind. :-)

The Dynex rigging has been out for several years now and the reports seem to
be pretty good. It does creep a little over time so deadeyes are
recommended over turnbuckles to give more adjusting room. Deadeyes look a
little out of place on a modern boat but it is fairly easy to resplice 12
strand with a multiple Brummel so turnbuckles would not be that much
trouble. I have some 5mm Endura 12 for the double lifelines. More than
three times the breaking strength as 1/8" stainless and the wire and
fittings for the gates cost more than all the rest of the lifelines. Could
have used 3mm but I think it would cut you in half if you fell against it.
:-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com