Backyard Renegade

Default How to cut plastic

g wrote in message . ..
Hi all I have a group question
I need to bake a new dashboard for my boat
it made of the usual plastic that you can get at home depot or Lows

what s a good clean, easy way to cut this?

I was going to buy a bit for my router or Roto-zip and just follow the
old one

THanks

I might want control of the saw so the sheet does not bind and kick, I
would probably not use a table saw. Anyway, I would take a new plywood
blade and put it backwards in my circular saw and cut it like that.
That is what they do on the job site, no new special tools necessary.
You want to try it first on your material but the saw being backwards
keeps the plastic from chipping and for one windshield you should not
dull it enough to get too much melt. Some is ok, as long as you keep
the saw moving at a steady pace and don't let any "melt" drip on you,
trust me, the whole neighborhood will know if you do WEAR SAFETY
GLASSES, AND NEVER WEAR GLOVES WHEN USING ANY TOOL WITH A MOVING
BLADE! Really, if the saw walks away, you may have an explosion of
plastic shrapnel everywhere and you want to be able to get your hands
away from the working end of the tool without letting go of it. And I
have a good rule for using saws and drills and such, If you have to
lean over, or into a cut, you are probably set up the wrong way. If
you have to use you weight to make a cut, same applies...
Scotty from SmallBoats.com