Glenn Ashmore

Default How to cut plastic

Depends on the plastic. Thin acrylics like plexiglass up to 3/16 can be
scored and popped like glass. Any thicker and you have a high
probability of the crack wandering. Polycarbonates like lexan have to be
sawn.

For acrylics I find that high angle alternate bevel top laminate blade
minimizes chipping. For polycarbonates a tripplechip non-ferrous blade
prevents melting better. FOr softer stuff like Starboard almost any
carbide blade will work as long as it has a lot of teeth.

g wrote:

Hi all I have a group question
I need to bake a new dashboard for my boat
it made of the usual plastic that you can get at home depot or Lows

what s a good clean, easy way to cut this?

I was going to buy a bit for my router or Roto-zip and just follow the
old one

THanks

Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com