steveJ

Default How to cut plastic

The suggestion not to use a hand held reciprocating
"jig" saw is because it will break the plastic is
possibly correct however, being sure to support the
plastic using a piece of plywood under it while cutting
will avoid breaking if you choose to use the hand held saw.
This is good if the piece is too large to handle on the band
saw or you do not own one. Leave the paper on the plastic.
Draw the line you want to cut, cut slowly and use
a proper blade that is fine tooth, hollow ground and
specifically designed for cutting plastic. Smooth up with
a cabinet scraper to relieve the sharp cut edge. I've always used
a hand held saw and the only time the plastic breaks is if it is not
fully supported from beneath.All this works well for curves.
If the cuts are all straight, score the plastic with a special plastic
scoring knife, place a dowel (broom stick) under the score, then place
two boards along either side of the score on top of the plastic and
press down sharply. Will snap on the score. Finish with a cabinet
scraper. You can also flame the edge after cutting to make it shiney by
playing a propane torch very lightly along the cut edge to give it a
nice smooth finish. Practice first on some scrap.
Forget the router. I'd use the hand held with a piece of plywood
beneathe it. You can also use a belt sander to bring the edge to a
closer tolerance.

g wrote:
Hi all I have a group question
I need to bake a new dashboard for my boat
it made of the usual plastic that you can get at home depot or Lows

what s a good clean, easy way to cut this?

I was going to buy a bit for my router or Roto-zip and just follow the
old one

THanks